WMNR began broadcasting classical and fine arts music in 1982 and we are fortunate to have so many broadcasters, listeners and supporters with us three decades later.
For WMNR's Annual Report, Audited Financial Statement and other CPB required information please click here.
For information on WMNR's status as a charitable organization please visit our web page WMNR and the IRS
For a brief history of WMNR's 30 years please click here.
WMNR Fine Arts Radio is a public radio station, licensed to the Town of Monroe in Monroe, Connecticut. The station is funded entirely by listeners, foundations and businesses.
We operate 24 hours a day providing classical and fine arts music programming to much of Connecticut and nearby portions of New York. WMNR is one of 385 public radio licensees that meet Corporation for Public Broadcasting standards for professional operation.
WMNR has approximately 60,000 listeners and 6,000 contributing members. We raise our budget each year from private donations and grants, and have done so since our inception in 1973.
WMNR’s classical music is noted for it quality, substance and personal presentation. WMNR attracts listeners from throughout the region and meets or exceeds important national benchmark listening criteria for public radio stations.
The station is one of 40 public radio stations in the country that air 90% or more classical music and is the only such station in Southern New England. WMNR generates most of its own programming. It uses just a few nationally-produced programs, including Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin and live concerts of the Boston Symphony Orchestra from their summer home at Tanglewood in Lenox, Massachusetts.
WMNR Mission and Goals
Music and the arts are important in the cultural life of any community. The mission of WMNR is to provide musical enrichment and enjoyment to our listeners by broadcasting high quality classical and fine arts music programs.
The goals of WMNR are:
• To present to listeners the richness and diversity that the world of classical music encompasses.
• To strive for excellence in every aspect of our work: musical excellence, excellence of presentation and technical excellence.
• To generate the funding needed to ensure WMNR’s mission on a year-to-year basis and well into the future.
• To provide listeners with broadcasts of local classical music performances and current information on community arts and music activities.
• To serve as an emergency communications outlet for Monroe and the region.